The Legislative Assembly is empowered to act in all matters for the Los Angeles Division though subject to provisions of Divisional bylaws. Members of the Assembly approve all changes to the Senate Bylaws and Regulations, ratify slates for each of the Senate's Standing Committees as recommended by the Committee on Committees, review and approve annual reports of each of the Standing Committees, and consider campus-wide issues. Proposals having a wide effect on faculty life are always brought before the Legislative Assembly; for example, changes in faculty disciplinary procedures, a mentoring plan for assistant professors, and revisions to General Education. Assembly members elect the six at-large members of the Senate's Executive Board by choosing three each Spring quarter. The Legislative Assembly meets at least once per quarter for a total of four times during the academic year.
- Voting members of the Legislative Assembly are elected from and by constituencies from all areas of the campus. Departments are allotted one voting member for each 20 Senate members with every department allotted at least one member. Administrative officers who hold Senate membership also elect at least one representative. The list of Department Representatives for the Legislative Assembly can be viewed online.
- Ex officio members include the UC President, UCLA Chancellor, Senate Chair, Senate Vice Chair, Senate Secretary, and voting members of the Executive Board who are not current Legislative Assembly members.
- The Division Chair chairs the Legislative Assembly.
- Legislative Assembly representatives serve a three-year term beginning on September first.
2023-24 Meeting Schedule:
- Thursday, November 16, 2023 from 2:00-4:00 pm in the Bruin Reception Room, Ackerman Union
- Thursday, February 8, 2024 from 2:00-4:00 pm over Videoconference
- Thursday, April 4, 2024 from 2:00-4:00 pm at an in-person location TBD
- Thursday, May 16, 2024 from 2:00-4:00 pm over Videoconference
The procedures of the Legislative Assembly are governed by the current edition of Alice Sturgis' Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure per bylaw 135(D) of the UCLA Divisional Manual.
Interactions with Administration
The Chancellor plays an active role with the Legislative Assembly, usually giving an opening address to the Assembly each Fall Quarter and attending meetings whenever possible to listen to faculty issues and to offer comments. In addition, the Assembly regularly invites administrators who can speak to current issues, such as the Executive Vice Chancellor, the Director of Admissions, and the Vice Chancellor for Research.
Senate Chair: Andrea Kasko (2023-24), firstname.lastname@example.org
Senate Executive Director: April de Stefano
Analyst: Charlotte Rose
For inquiries, please contact email@example.com