Academic Senate Service Award
The Academic Senate is pleased to sponsor the inaugural 2019 UCLA Academic Senate Service Award. The purpose of the Academic Senate Service Award is to recognize a member of the UCLA Division of the Academic Senate for their outstanding and dedicated service to the campus and/or the larger community, and whose activities have significantly enhanced UCLA’s mission of education, research and service. "Service" is defined as contributions to the University, as well as professional and public services activities.
The Service Award is given on an annual basis to one active member of UCLA’s Academic Senate. There is also an open call for nominations for this award. A UCLA Senate Faculty member or department chair may nominate someone for this award. Any individual nominated needs to meet the eligibility criteria listed below. Self-nominations are allowed. The Service Award Committee will review and select a recipient in the winter quarter. The recipient of the award will receive a $2,000.00 award and will be honored at the Legislative Assembly meeting in June 2019.
All active UCLA Academic Senate members are eligible.
Individuals under consideration for the Academic Senate Service Award will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- A history of active involvement in Academic Senate committees, especially in a leadership role.
And evidence of one or more of the following:
- Sustained involvement and/or leadership on department and/or other non-Senate university committees
- Leading initiatives or task forces at the departmental or university level, especially at pivotal times in a department’s or the university’s history
- Sustained leadership in one’s profession such as serving in an elected office of a scholarly society or being editor of a major journal in one’s discipline
- Exemplary service to the larger community, state, or nation in advancing the university’s mission
- Sustained ad hoc uncompensated volunteerism
All nominations must be submitted online via the Academic Senate Web portal and are due by Friday, March 15, 2019 by 5:00 pm.
Any UCLA faculty member may nominate a colleague. Please note: self-nominations are accepted.
Please send all complete application packets to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go to www.senate.ucla.edu. Login using your UCLA ID. Select the Funding Opportunity tab and select the Academic Senate Service Award. Each nominee packet should provide sufficient material for the committee to evaluate. Such material includes the following information:
- Upload a 2-3 page-nominating letter - This letter is critical. It should describe the candidate’s record of service and the ways in which it is exemplary, sustained, and important. This letter must be from a member of the UCLA Academic Senate.
- Upload 1- 2 page supportive Letter - This letter should contain a description of the candidate’s contributions to service at UCLA. The supporting letter can be from a Senate member or non-senate colleague from UCLA or the larger community.
- Upload a Curriculum Vitae - The CV should contain a candidate’s education, research or other scholarly achievements, awards, publications, and must include a record of service to the campus and/or larger community.
If you have further questions, contact Annie Speights via email at email@example.com or at (310) 825 - 3853, in the Academic Senate Office.