1. Membership and duties of Undergraduate Council are defined by Divisional Bylaw 65.1.
2. The Chair and Vice Chair of Undergraduate Council are designated by the Committee on Committees of the Los Angeles Division.
3. Meetings of Undergraduate Council are scheduled twice a month, or at least once each quarter, during the academic year. Undergraduate Council may meet at such other times as it may determine, or at the call of the Chair.
4. Fifty percent plus one voting member of those serving constitutes a quorum of Undergraduate Council.
Title I. Standing Committees [En 9 Apr 09]
5. The Chair of Undergraduate Council, in consultation with the Vice Chair and members of Undergraduate Council, appoints the Chair and members of the several standing committees to hold office for a term of one academic year or until their successors are appointed. The Chair of Undergraduate Council appoints ad hoc committees as needed.
6. Administrative Committee. The Administrative Committee of Undergraduate Council consists of the Chair and Vice Chair of Undergraduate Council, in addition to the Chair/Co-Chairs of standing committees; it also includes the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, ex officio without vote. [Am 1 Jun 04]
7. Committee on Admissions. The Committee on Admissions consists of a Chair appointed by the Chair of Undergraduate Council, along with one other member of Undergraduate Council; the Chair and Vice Chair of the Senate Committee on Undergraduate Admissions and Relations with Schools (CUARS), ex officio without vote; the campus representative from the Board of Admissions and Relations with Schools (BOARS), ex officio without vote; and one student member of Undergraduate Council.
8. Committee on the Curriculum. The Committee on the Curriculum consists of a Chair and Co-Chair appointed by the Chair of Undergraduate Council, along with six other members of Undergraduate Council. Additionally, the Committee shall have two student members of Undergraduate Council.
9. Committee on Honors, Awards, and Prizes. The Committee on Honors, Awards, and Prizes consists of a Chair and one member of Undergraduate Council appointed by the Chair of Undergraduate Council, along with eight additional faculty, who are appointed by the Committee on Committees and whose service is limited to the Committee on Honors, Awards, and Prizes. Additionally, the Committee shall have one student member of Undergraduate Council. [Am 9 Apr 09]
10. Committee on Student Welfare. The Committee on Student Welfare consists of a Chair and Vice-chair appointed by the Chair of Undergraduate Council, along with four other members of Undergraduate Council. Additionally, the Committee shall have one student member of Undergraduate Council. [Am 9 Apr 09]
Title II. Other Committees [En 9 Apr 09]
11. The General Education Governance Committee shall be appointed yearly by the Undergraduate Council Administrative Committee. It will consist of 10 members: a Chair, one member of the Undergraduate Council, and eight Senate Faculty members representing each College division and the other schools that admit undergraduate students. The Committee shall also have two undergraduate student members. [En 9 Apr 09]
12. Meetings of Undergraduate Council are governed by procedures specified in Divisional Bylaw 135.
13. The Undergraduate Council reserves the right to delegate to the appropriate Faculty Executive Committees such decisions concerning course and program actions as are specified in Council's Delegation Guidelines. Delegation Guidelines are on file in the offices of the Senate, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, and Registrar. Council will monitor these delegated decisions and at least every three (3) years will review its delegation process and revise its guidelines accordingly. Such delegation is not meant to include authority over matters that may have significant campuswide/systemwide or educational policy implications. For instance, the delegation would not extend to the approval of new majors or new minors or the endorsement of new departments, new IDPs, and new CIIs. [Am 1 Jun 04]
14. Pursuant to Los Angeles Division Bylaw 65.1(B)(4), Undergraduate Council periodically reviews and evaluates all undergraduate programs of study and all programs of preparatory education, normally at intervals not exceeding ten years. Such reviews are coordinated and conducted jointly with Graduate Council.
15. The foregoing Bylaws may be added to, amended, or repealed at any regular or special meeting of Undergraduate Council by a two-thirds vote of serving members of Undergraduate Council, provided that written notice of proposed changes shall have been sent to each member of Undergraduate Council at least five instructional days previous to the meeting at which a vote is taken on the proposed changes